DIY electric work may seem easy to some homeowners, especially if you have done some wiring yourself in the past. But a mistake could cause a short circuit and the results could be catastrophic... worst case, you could get electrocuted! OR you could start a fire and burn down your home. Try explaining that to your insurance company.
Ask yourself this: Is saving a few bucks on a home electrical job worth it?
Here are some dangers of DIY electrical work that you may not have thought of:
Confusing hot and neutral wires when installing an outlet. If the hot wire is connected to the neutral terminal of an outlet you could get a serious shock. AND get this: it’s difficult to detect this mistake until someone is dangerously hurt because lights and other electrical devices will still work.
Using the wrong sized fuse. A fuse is designed to protect a home's electrical system by breaking the electrical circuit if it is running above what is considered safe. If you put in the wrong sized fuse you could damage the effectiveness, causing the fuse to not break the circuit and this is a severe fire hazard.
Using the wrong sized wire for a circuit. Electrical wire is available in different thicknesses. Generally, thicker wires can handle more electrical current. If you use a wire that is too small on a circuit that generates more electricity than it can handle, the wire will overheat and short out before the fuse of the circuit break activates. This is a fire hazard.
Wires cut or stripped the wrong length. Wires cut too short make connections difficult and dangerous. Plus, electrical code is specific on the length of stripped wires that are actually attached to your switches and outlets. Too much stripped wire exposed inside the electrical box can cause big problems.
Faulty installation of a three-slot outlets. Most older homes do not have ground wires at outlet locations. Rookies have been known to switch out the 2 prong outlet for a 3 prong without a ground. Not only does this violated code, in the event of a short circuit the cover plate will become energized with electricity and cause a deadly shock.
The number one cause of house fires is faulty wiring. In some cases, it is simply old wiring that has worn out. But faulty installation can also cause catastrophe.
If you are in eastern Ontario and you require electrical services, contact Jet Electrical Contractors and rest easy! 613 484 0989